To create a Custom Approval Workflow:
- Open up the Spend Management menu
- Select the Custom workflows option within the menu
- Click Create New Workflow
- Enter the name of workflow
- Select a trigger to start the workflow - when these conditions have been met, the approval process will begin.
- When a Budget top-up is requested
- When a Bill is coded
- When a Reimbursement is coded
- You may then choose to add a filter as additional conditions to trigger the workflow (optional)
- User is
- Budget is
- Select an action for the system to process once the conditions are met
- Multiple filters and actions can be created by clicking on Add a filter or Add another action; this will allow you to set up multiple approvers.
- Click Create and set live
- Confirm the pop up which informs you that “This workflow will start running immediately and actions could happen straight away” by clicking Create
Below are a few examples of how Custom Approval Workflows can be used:
The following set-up will send an approval request to Mark Brown whenever there is any budget top-up requested.
In the following example, whenever the Employee James McDaniel makes a top-up request specifically for the Office Equipment budget, this will require going through a two-step approval process. First, the approval will go to Mark Brown; if Mark approves the budget, it will then go to Joseph Ramos for the final approval.
- Workflow rules will take priority in how approvals are made:
- If you are an administrator and you make a budget top-up/reimbursement/bill request and there is a workflow rule for that particular request; the budget will need to be approved by that person nominated in the workflow.
- If you have been set up as a budget approver under the budget rules, and a workflow for that same budget has been set up to go to another approver, you will not receive that budget top-up/reimbursement/bill top-up request. You will also need to go through the same approver and will no longer be able to approve your own requests.
- If you have multiple approvers set up in the workflow, the approval process will depend on who was selected first. E.g. Approver A was chosen first in the workflow set-up followed by Approver B. Approver B will not get to make an approval until Approver A approves the request first.